Johnny Depp has asked a judge to deny his estranged wife Amber Heard spousal support.
The actress, 30, filed papers to end the couple’s 15-month marriage in a Los Angeles court on Monday (23May16), citing irreconcilable differences for the split.
She listed 22 May (16) as the stars’ date of separation – just two days after the Pirates of the Caribbean star lost his mother, Betty Sue Palmer, following a long illness.
Amber also made a point to request spousal support from the 52-year-old Oscar nominee, but Johnny has now responded to the divorce filing and is seeking to deny her bid for financial help.
He has hired top celebrity divorce lawyer Laura Wasser to represent him in court, reports TMZ.com.
Johnny and Amber married in February, 2015 after first meeting on the set of 2011’s The Rum Diary. The couple has no children together, but the actor has two kids from a previous relationship with his girlfriend of 14 years, Vanessa Paradis.
Peaky Blinders has been recommissioned for a fourth and fifth series. The BBC TV series, which stars Cillian Murphy as Tommy Shelby, a 1920s gangster from Birmingham, England, has proved a hit in both the U.K. and in the U.S., where it is available on the Netflix streaming video service. The third series of the period drama continues in the U.K. next Wednesday (1Jun16).
“I don’t think I got one thing I auditioned for… It was never good. I’m never good in the room alone when it’s just me and somebody and I’m trying to (audition).” Comedian Adam Sandler started making his own movies after failing to win over casting directors as a young actor.
Singer Keith Urban is grateful to have wife Nicole Kidman in his life because he didn’t think he deserved such a good woman.
The couple will celebrate its 10th anniversary on 25 June (16) and Keith is still in awe at how close he has grown to Nicole over the years.
“You know, she’s my best friend,” he tells People magazine. “I’ve never had anybody on the planet that knows me as well as she does. I would love to have been worthy of somebody like Nic, but I was a long way from it when we met, but somehow we just found there was love there, real love. I literally just feel like the luckiest guy on the planet.”
Keith is still working on how the couple will celebrate the upcoming milestone, but he knows it will be a quiet time shared between the two of them.
“It’ll be something intimate and romantic,” he says.
The 48-year-old has frequently heaped praise on his actress wife, and earlier this month (May16), he insisted marrying Nicole gave him a second chance at life after previously battling addiction issues.
“Meeting her and getting married is when my life began,” Keith said on CBS’ Sunday Morning show. “(It) wasn’t life-changing, it was life-beginning. It was literally, like, ‘OK, life starts.'”
The stars are now parents to daughters Sunday, seven, and Faith, five, while Nicole, who was previously married to actor Tom Cruise, is also mum to their adopted children, Connor, 21, and Bella, 23.
Nicole previously opened up about tying the knot with Keith just one month after getting engaged during an interview with Elle magazine in December, 2014.
“I’m spontaneous. I jump in,” she said. “I kind of like getting married and then getting to know each other. I know that it sounds incredibly strange, but to me, it’s a more natural process.”
Singer Kevin Jonas is hoping his second child will be a girl because he grew up surrounded by his famous brothers.
The former The Jonas Brothers star and his wife Danielle announced they are expanding their family last month (Apr16), but they have decided not to find out the sex of the baby before the tot’s arrival.
They are already parents to daughter Alena, who was born in February, 2014, and while Kevin stresses his main priority is for a healthy child, he confesses he would love to give his girl a little sister to grow up with.
“I’ve actually always wanted two girls,” he said on U.S. personality Nigel Barker’s Gentleman’s Code radio show. “I just want a healthy baby, to clarify. I want healthy children, but I’ve always like, wanted two kids that were both girls, and my wife was like, ‘Why?’ I’m like, ‘Because I’ve been around boys so much my entire life that I want to be surrounded by… girls.”
“(Plus we are) having the hardest time with boy names!,” he remarked.
Kevin, who is a brother to Joe, Nick, and Frankie, also defended his wife against critics who took aim at her for working out while pregnant, explaining she was active before she was expecting, adding that exercising is “what makes her feel good”.
He also addressed the furore new mum Chrissy Teigen faced when she stepped out for a date night with husband John Legend shortly after the birth of their daughter Luna Simone last month (Apr16).
“It’s no one’s place to make comments on how you live your life, and you know what, no one even knows whether it was with a nanny, whether it was a babysitter,” he added. “It doesn’t matter who the baby was with. It’s not your responsibility to comment on parenting for others. I would hate if someone did that to me.”
British pop star Leona Lewis will make her Broadway debut in the forthcoming revival of hit musical Cats.
The Bleeding Love hitmaker recently became the frontrunner to take on the role of Grizabella in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s new production, after singer/actress Nicole Scherzinger bowed out of plans to reprise the character she had played during the show’s West End run in 2014.
On Thursday (26May16), the casting news was made official and Leona couldn’t be happier.
“Can’t even believe this,” she gushed on Twitter.com. “I’m thrilled & honored to announce I’ll be playing the part of Grizabella in @CatsBroadway!”
In a statement, the 31-year-old added, “It is an incredible honor to be asked by Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber to join the Cats family. I will never forget seeing the show as a little girl and how blown away I was by the magical experience of it.
“I am beyond thrilled for my Broadway debut to be in such an iconic show. To work with a team as legendary as those on Cats is an experience I will cherish every moment of. I cannot wait to see the audiences out in NYC!”
“Leona has one of the greatest voices of her generation,” praised theatre mogul Lord Lloyd Webber. “We are all hugely excited about working with her.”
The new Cats line-up will also feature Giuseppe Bausilio as Carbucketty, Quentin Earl Darrington as Old Deuteronomy, Jeremy Davis as Skimbleshanks, Ricky Ubeda as Mistoffelees, and Jess LeProtto as Mungojerrie.
Trevor Nunn, who took charge of the original 1982 run and the recent West End shows, will be back to direct the latest revival, while Hamilton’s Andy Blankenbuehler will choreograph the show.
Preview performances will begin at the Neil Simon Theatre on 14 July (16), ahead of its grand opening on 31 July (16).
The previous Cats production became the fourth longest-running show in Broadway history, before closing in 2000 after 18 years.
The news of Leona’s casting emerges two weeks after Andrew blasted Nicole as “crazy” for pulling out of the Broadway gig in favour of returning to U.K. talent show The X Factor as a judge.
He told The Economist Radio: “I’m furious because I really believe she’s the most fantastically talented girl and I went out on a limb to get her for the London Palladium (West End shows) here, and it makes me look like an absolute twot (idiot) with them all (Broadway producers)… But never mind, there’ll be another girl on Broadway and Nicole will not get her Tony Award.”
The 37-year-old pop star responded to his cutting comments by insisting she had never officially signed on to appear in Cats on Broadway.
“The contract was never finalised,” she told the Evening Standard earlier this month (May16). “I am incredibly blessed to be given so many amazing opportunities, including Cats, but unfortunately we weren’t able to make it work this time around…
“I adore and respect Andrew, I’m so grateful for our friendship and can’t wait for the opportunity to create more magic together.”
New York police commissioner Bill Bratton has launched a furious attack on the “thugs” of rap following a deadly shooting incident at T.I.’s gig in the city on Wednesday night (25May16).
One person was killed and three injured when a gunman opened fire backstage at the hip-hop star’s headlining gig at Irving Plaza in Manhattan, and Bratton was quick to respond to the incident.
In an interview with WCBS 880 on Thursday morning (26May16), he said, “The crazy world of the so-called rap artists who are basically thugs that basically celebrate the violence they live all their lives (were responsible for the fatal shooting).”
He added, “Unfortunately, that violence often manifests itself during the performances and that’s exactly what happened last evening.”
Bratton also confirmed police investigating the incident have an idea of what happened and added, “We feel we’ll wrap it up very quickly.”
Cops are also attempting to find out how the gunman gained entrance to the venue with a weapon.
The shooting took place backstage while Brooklyn rappers Maino and Uncle Murda were performing an opening set for T.I. Another Brooklyn rapper, Troy Ave, was among those injured in the shooting. He is reportedly in good condition after being shot in the leg. The other two people injured are stable.
A 33-year-old male, believed to be Troy Ave’s bodyguard Ronald McPhatter, was pronounced dead at Beth Israel Hospital.
“He’s the meanest person I’ve ever met. He dominated the whole set. He terrorised everybody.” Jennifer Lawrence jokes about working with her X-Men: Apocalypse co-star Oscar Isaac, who portrays the titular villain in the new superhero movie.
Cyndi Lauper has become the latest musician to pay tribute to Prince onstage after performing the track she covered for her She’s So Unusual album on Wednesday night (25May16).
Following Madonna’s Billboard Music Awards tribute on Sunday (22May16), and previous Prince nods from Bruce Springsteen, Mariah Carey and Beyonce, among others, Lauper paid her respects at the Beacon Theatre in New York with a moving performance of When You Were Mine.
She covered the song from Prince’s Dirty Mind album on her debut release in 1983.
Prince died on 21 April (16).
Mel Gibson has revealed he was offered the role of Thor’s dad.
The part in the 2011 movie eventually went to Sir Anthony Hopkins, but the Australian actor/director was film bosses’ first choice, he claims.
Promoting his new film Blood Father, the Mad Max star was asked if he’d ever been approached to appear in a superhero film.
“Yeah, long time ago, to play Thor’s dad. But I didn’t do it,” he said.
Mel wasn’t the only star who almost landed a role in the blockbuster movie franchise – Channing Tatum, Alexander Skarsgard, Brad Pitt, Charlie Hunnam, and Joel Kinnaman were among the actors considered to play the hammer-wielding Marvel god, while Liam Hemsworth reportedly tested for the part that his big brother Chris eventually landed.
Meanwhile, Josh Hartnett reportedly had meetings with Thor director Kenneth Branagh for the role of Loki – the movie villain that helped launch Tom Hiddleston’s career. Ironically, Hiddleston, who had previously worked with Branagh on Ivanov and Wallander, initially auditioned to play Thor, but relished the challenge of portraying the ancient superhero’s evil brother.
“Loki’s like a comic book version of Edmund in King Lear, but nastier,” said the actor, who studied Peter O’Toole in The Lion in Winter and Lawrence of Arabia for the role.
And Odin wasn’t the first big role Gibson turned down – the Oscar-winning Braveheart star also passed on The Terminator and Batman in Tim Burton’s 1989 movie. Those roles went to Arnold Schwarzenegger and Michael Keaton.
Mel also reportedly said no to the role of Two Face in Batman Forever. Tommy Lee Jones picked up that part.